Our Dino Pet Education Kit is designed for 2nd-5th graders, but did you know that our products are also great teaching tools for middle and high school science lessons?
The Dino Pet and Dino Sphere are educational instruments that deliver science to curious students in the guise of a fun toy. Naturally glowing “toys” are already pretty captivating and awesome, but our products also encourage kids and adults alike to start asking questions, such as:
How does it eat? Here’s an opportunity to teach photosynthesis!
How does it grow? This is an opportunity to discuss cell division and the need to add additional water and nutrients for the new cells.
Why does it glow blue? Great question! Here’s an opportunity to teach wavelengths of light, and how blue light travels farther in water and yellow or green light travels farther on land or in the air. This can expand into a conversation on oceanic organisms which have evolved to produce blue light, while bioluminescent terrestrial organisms like fireflies have evolved to glow yellow/green.
When you dive deeper into our bioluminescent products, your students will become fascinated by the science of this living toy and the thousands of life forms contained within!
Here are some relevant topics to tie the Dino Pet or Dino Sphere into your middle or high school science class!
- Human Interactions with the Environment, Specifically Water Pollution
- Earth’s Atmosphere (dinoflagellates produce half the world’s oxygen and regulate CO2 levels!)
- Climate Change (rising sea surface temperatures and the effect on phytoplankton populations)
- Unicellular vs Multicellular Organisms
- Cell Components and Functions
- Biodiversity and Symbiotic Relationships, Specifically Coral Reefs
- Marine Food Chain
- Visible Light and Light Waves
- Purpose and Process of Photosynthesis
- Luminescent Chemistry (Luciferin and Luciferase)
- Purpose of Bioluminescence and the Burglar Alarm Theory
- Circadian Rhythms
Please feel free to contact us for more great ideas on how to best teach with our bioluminescent products at email@example.com!